Saturday, April 05, 2008

Testimony

I've quoted and sourced the political blog called The Field many times here. It's a relatively new one, which I've watched grow, due to the perspicacity of its main (and until recently, only) blogger, Al Giordano. The Field is a outgrowth of the organization Rural Votes, directed by Deb Kozikowski, who also happens to be a Democratic super-delegate, who says she's uncommitted.

Al posted an unusual offer: readers could try to persuade her which way to vote by their comments. Since Al (a former Edwards backer) has become an Obama advocate, and that fact has also drawn Obama people to this site, most of the comments were expected to make the case for Obama. Which they do.

Though many make crisp and cogent arguments for Obama, the personal testimonies are the most moving--and you will sense a theme right away. It isn't a new theme, but these are more real stories. (I've edited some slightly.)

From "Laura":
For many years and many elections, I have been unable to discuss politics with my mother and my step-father. They voted for G.W. Bush twice and supported the war. My step-father, a Vietnam vet, detested Kerry and believed all the swift boating tales. We finally agreed to never talk about politics.

Well, a few months ago, I visited them. My step-dad brought up Obama and told he liked what Obama had to say. I agreed, we spoke a little and then moved on. I figured he was just trying to make me feel good.

A couple of weeks later, I visited again. This time, both my mom and my step-dad sat down on their Florida porch and proceeded to tell me why they liked Obama and why they were going to vote for him over McCain. They are tired of the war, tired of the economic situation, and they were inspired by Obama. My mother, 68 years old, looked at me with the dreamy eyes of a teenager and compared Obama to JFK. They both said they would reluctantly vote for McCain if Obama failed to get the nomination.

My step-dad has since been diagnosed with bone marrow cancer. This may be his last election and he is devoted to Obama because he believes that Obama cares about people like him.


My son, who turns 18 in May, is interested in politics for the first time in his life. As a school assignment, I had him watch Obama’s speech on race and discuss it with me. My husband and I have 4 adopted children, and my son was adopted from foster care at the age of 4. Our youngest daughter is biracial. My son, in spite of learning disabilities, was able to understand and apply what Obama said to his life and to his sister’s future. My youngest, who is 7, lies her hand on my computer screen next to pictures of Obama and is amazed that he looks like her.

From "Walker":

I’m 19 years old, my best friend is 18. We’ve never voted in a presidential election. Both of us hope that our first presidential vote will be for Obama. I can’t wait to cast my (mail-in) ballot for Obama in my home state of Oregon. But hoping isn’t all Obama supporters do, despite what the critics may tell you. Combined, my friend and I have canvassed in the following states: Nevada, Colorado, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, Rhode Island, Texas, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Indiana. And many more states have received calls from my friend and I. And you can bet I’ll be workin’ in Oregon once I’m back from school. But that’s not even the most amazing part... No, the most incredible part of all of this is that my story isn’t even unique.

From Nate:

I a gay man originally from Dallas, Texas who was raised in a Christian fundamentalist household. I’ve always been at odds with my family’s political views, but this year, we’ve chosen the same candidate–Barack Obama. The country is fed up with the war, the healthcare crisis, rising energy costs, and the strained economy. It wants a choice–a real choice–to break out of the pattern and start out on a new foot with someone who is bold enough to bring new people and new ideas to the table... live in Chicago a few blocks from where the Obamas lived. I voted for him in 2002, and he’s never disappointed me. As a supporter, I’ve been able to hold my head high because of the integrity with which he runs his campaign and the courage he has shown in tackling old problems with innovative, and sometimes unpopular, approaches.

TR:
I am a 47 yr oid white woman (not that it matters) who has never donated to a campaign in my life until now. I have contributed to Barack for the last 4 months... have 2 children (adults now) 24 and 20 and even they are involved. I never ever thought they would be involved or even care. They went to see him in CT and stood in line with thousands of people. I was shocked, they actuaklly went and waited in line for hours to see a political figure? YES they did and they are actually excited. There is no way I even though they would vote in 2008 let a lone go to a rally to see someone speak... Sen Obama is bringing a whole new generation into politics early. These yuoung people are the future and the fact that they are involved at such a young age really is HUGE!!!!

Eileen:

I’m 41, Chinese-American, female, $40K earner, and I virtually gave up on politics in the early 90s. I never contributed to a political campaign, almost stopped voting, and thought I would never see a candidate who really represented my interests could gain the highest elected office. Then I read Barack Obama’s book, and I have followed with passionate interest ever since. I have been actively participating and also sent him $ after Super Tuesday and after the speech on race.

"Palgirl 2008"
I am an Independent who lives in the most republican of states(Utah). I was indifferent to this election, the choice between Hillary( who was the “inevitable” candidate), and any republican just didn’t excite me or fill me with any kind of enthusiasm. Hillary represented the worse of the Democratic party, a party that lost it’s identity, it’s direction, and it’s values.I felt that they forgot about me, an Independent in Utah, who loathed the GOP tactics, but still had some of the conservative ideas.On a cold January night, I woke up from my indifference, when a skinny kid with a funny name delivered a victory speech that spoke to me, the independent in a red state, a speech that told me that there is a better way, a better choice…and that there is so much hope for this country.I volunteered for the Obama campaign, I felt included in the process, I felt part of a movement for the first time in a very very long time.Obama has ideas, ideals, he is fresh, he is genuine, he is our chance to a fresh start from the politics of the 90s, and the politics of devisions.besides…he is likable, funny, and too damn smart ….what is wrong with having a president like that???

"Lynn":
I am from Bloomington, Indiana. I work at Indiana University. I’ve been married to Mike for 16 years. He’s a union carpenter who remodels and builds Kroger stores in Indiana and surrounding states. We have 2 sons who will be going to college in 4 and 5 years. We are trying to sell our small home to buy one with less stairs and an extra room for my Mom, who was recently injured and widowed. I grew up in a multi-racial neighborhood in Glen Park, Gary, IN. I am writing (this is like sending a message in a bottle), to ask you to support Barack Obama.
To be honest, prior to this primary I always felt my vote didn’t count. The powers that be would select someone and there was nothing I could do about it. I’d only voted a couple of times. This year, I actually intend to vote and have contributed $65 to Barack Obama’s campaign. Not only that - I visit the news websites, watch the news, watch the debates, etc, because for once I feel as though my vote counts. We are a white middle-class family. I would like Barack Obama to be president because he represents me. I agree with his views on education (parents need to shut off the tv/video games and be in touch with their kids), foreign policy (build consensus, talk to other countries and restraint is sometimes powerful), economy (no tax breaks for companies who ship out jobs to cheaper labor or who hire workers who are not paying taxes and are not here legally). I could go on, but to save you I won’t.
I hope that you will cast your vote for Barack Obama.


Michele:
I am an Obama supporter, so of course, I would like you to endorse him. I am not going to write a lengthy post with various reasons why.
Only one….Obama has somehow managed to motivate my former Republican (and somewhat bigoted), rural PA parents to register as Democrats so they can vote for him. If he can do that, he has the opportunity to be a truly great president and unite this country.


Byron:
As a working class 55 year old white male with a long held cynicism about politicians and their motives I have found myself uncharacteristically drawn into Senator Obama’s campaign. His intelligence and insight, his vision of inclusion and communal responsibility are a welcome breath of fresh air in the national political conversation and I see that I am in good and large company in feeling this way. He is the first candidate for any office to whom I have contributed money and the first candidate in whose campaign I have ever volunteered. I went to PA from NY to register new voters and will return in the next few weeks to help get the vote out.A telling sign of his ability to appeal to Americans across many divides is illustrated in my own family where my 80 year old father who has voted Republican for at least the last 45 years will vote for Barack in Novermber and my 25 year old son and his wife, when I mentioned that I had done phone-banking for the Obama campaign told me that they had also attended an Obama phone-banking party in NJ where they live. A first for them as well as for me.I think we all see an opportunity to start to get things back on track and rebuild an America we can really be proud of.

Yvonne:

I am a 57 year old, Asian American, mother of 4, grandmother of five. I am a professional, and have volunteered in my community in non-profits for many years. I was raised in Germany, Michigan, and CA, as an Army brat. As an adult I have lived on a ranch and small communities in WA State and AK. I am revealing this information, so you know that I have some real world experience.
Originally I was planning on voting for Hillary, because this Barack Candidate was a new fella, I never heard of. But to do my conscience justice, and my vote, I researched his background. I have wholeheartedly cast my vote for him due to his intellect, experience, understanding, wisdom, credibility, ability, personality, consistency, capability, and leadership. I am glad he has decided to run for President this election. Not only for our country, but for the world...


"Seth" makes a political point but one that the pundits rarely mention:

Just imagine for a moment Barrack’s first trip through the middle east and Africa. Imagine him speaking in Paris and in Jakarta. Imagine how our image as a nation in the eyes of the world - and in our own eyes - will change.

Those are some of the comments that got to me before my eyes glazed over--there were over 200. They are remarkable, but characteristic--which is in itself most remarkable. That said, I don't think (judged by one of her comments) this particular super-delegate is impressed by them. I hope this doesn't turn out to be a gimmick to increase traffic, but her one substantive comment (two others were pro forma) sounded to me like she didn't understand the significance of these kinds of stories, or their importance for the future.

No comments: